what's tomauro?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Mini-escape to San Francisco and Seniortis

I decided to give myself a post midterm present and went to San Francisco to go visit my friend Lee while she had a layover in San Francisco (she is a flight attendant for Luftansa). I liked the feeling of flying somewhere for 24 hours, it refreshed me with that on-the-go lifestyle that I was once so accustomed too.
It ended up being Dia de los Muertos in San Fran, so as we walked the streets looking for dinner we were greeted by skeleton face paint and candle lit shrines. We ended up bar hopping all over the city and surprisingly enough I saw two high school classmates while out. The night proved to be just what I needed, drinking way too much beer and laughing away the stress that had followed me from San Diego. The next day attempting to walk off our hang over, Lee and I went to Dolores Park only to be greeted with that all to familiar Nor Cal gloomy weather and rain. We went in a coffee shop and talked over tea for a couple of hours, finding that although Lee was born in Africa and lived in Germany our lives consisted of the same familiar topics:boys, school, music and friends. I realized I had been in this coffee shop three or four years back on the Fourth of July with my friend Dillon and pondered how much my life had changed since that last trip.

It's funny sometimes I feel like my life has the loop like cycle, as if to remind me who I was and the person I am now. Sometimes snap shot pictures flash in my head of one moment in the past and I get a surge in my stomach. I'll hear a song or someone will say quote something familiar to pull me back to a different time, like a mental album, and in these moments I feel like I've done so much in the two decades I've been here but so much is ahead of me. This is an ongoing theme for me this year since I am on the brink of graduating college and moving onto the next phase in my life. So when the cycle of memories surfaces, like in the coffee shop that day, I not only think of my past but where I will be a year from now. It is a scary thought, and it may sound cheesy or just me trying to reassure myself, but I feel like I'll be okay. I feel like somehow an opportunity will come my way in June. No matter of the uncertainty there are so many things I have to be grateful for, especially having friends like Lee who are so far away but relate to me in so many ways, my health, my family, and my youth. As I scrape through this final year, I am scared of what is to come but ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment