what's tomauro?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Lotte World: the Corporate Disneyland of South Korea


Besides being inside a large department store and drastically smaller, Lotte World made me feel like I was right back in good ol' Anaheim.

We went for my friend Alex's 24th birthday to feel like we were 14 again. Normally the entrance fee runs around 34,000 won but by the time my friend Emily and I got into the city (after a 45 min bumpy almost-vomit inducing bus trip. Oh, also a quick stop in Burger King to get our veins flowing with some french fries and hamburgers) we made it to the park around 3pm. We found out that after 4pm the entrance fee goes down to 15,500 won.

Lotte World has rides both inside and outside, but due to rain, we were confined to the inside attractions. This kept us busy for about 4 to 5 hours. The park is a odd mix of Disneyland, Oktoberfest and K-pop. They often have musicals going on in a large stage in the center of the bottom floor. On a side note, a lot of the dancers are white and we collectively decided they must be from Russia.

There is a roll-a-coaster, bumper cars, a swinging ship, a carousel and all the other essential theme park rides at Lotte World. I have heard the cue can be up to an hour for some rides, but I'm guessing because of the weather we got lucky. Also, they have a deal similar to Disney's (is this an ongoing theme?) Fastpass to speed up your wait time.  There was one ride called Sinbad's Adventure that was an exact replica of the Pirate's of the Carribean ride if you're feeling a bit Disney-homesick (no really I'm pretty sure someone went to Disneyland with a notebook and copied down every detail). There is also a nightly parade and ice skating. All in all, I'm glad I got out of my hungover funk and spent the day living like a kid again for 1/8th of what Disneyland charges these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment