what's tomauro?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Friday, December 28, 2012

Haebongchun

I discovered this area a couple months ago and automatically fell in love with it. The only downside being it is just a short walk away from the foreigner mess that is Itaewon. I  would like to share some excellent places to eat and drink in the hip, San Francsico-esque area of Seoul.


 Food: this is the place to visit if you're missing some good foreign cuisine or if you need a break from the kimchi, galbi, or kimbop cheonguk.

1. Casablanca Sandwiches
Specializing in Moroccan sandwiches,
Casablanca's is my go-to place for a pre drinking or post drinking quality meal. You get huge portions and the crusty baguette is a rarity to find alone and then you get the option of meat, shrimp or vegetables as a filler. My favortie being the chicken or lentil. Also the sandwiches will set you back only 5,000 won!

2.    T.G. Brunch Cafe
For someone who loves brunch and Sunday-fundays, I figured that I would have to part with this tradition when I moved to Korea. I was delighted when I found T.G.'s. They have an excellent brunch menu (although they are missing the mimosas or bloody mary's), which includes breakfast burritos, asparagus, bacon and avocado egg benedict, as well as some salads. If you need a good bloody mary walk a little bit further down the street and go to Noxa, where they have a 7,000 bloody complete with tomato and celery garnish.

3.Jacoby's Burger                                                                                                                                                     
As much as I hate to associate myself with anything Amurican, I love a good burger. Jacoby's is the closest I have gotten to an In-N-Out or Slater's 50/50. Each burger of chicken fillet is home-made with your choice of toppings. The 100% beef burgers start at about 8,000won.

Drink: Well at 24, I'm still in my boozey phase. Despite Korea being a humongous drinking culture and my students pushing my patients daily, I have managed to keep my drinking down to 2 or 3 days a week. The following are some of my favorite watering holes in HBC.

1. Burn
Above is the owner with their specialty items of scotch and cigars. I especially like this place in the winter for its warm atmosphere and cozy leather couches. They also offer absenthe shots done properly with the water fountain and melting sugar cubes. The drinks are a bit pricey though so I would encourage this place for a single round before you get too buzzed and generous with your teaching salary.

2. Phillies Pub 

There is no better way to describe Phillies than a good old "sports bar". They have beer, hamburgers and  plenty of heavier white men. I like to go to Phillies mainly because they have board games and cheap mix drinks. I usually try to get here early because in the later hours it quickly becomes inhabited with loud sports teams or girls showing off their female assets a little too much.

3. 14
14 is right next to Phillies and has a way more relaxed vibe. Decorated with magazine clippings of fashion models and famous actresses, this lounge tries to cast out the obnoxious loud environment which is found next store. I haven't tried their food, although it looks to be healthy and amazing, but more fell in love with this place because they have excellent mulled wine.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there :)

    Great blog! Thanks for making it.

    I was wondering if you have a spare good PPP ESL lesson for High School or Middle School (preferably High school if possible) that I could send to my son before he applies to go teach in South Korea. He’s really excited but is just beginning to learn what it takes to teach abroad there. Would you mind sending us one if you have it? He’d really appreciate it and I’m sure it would help him out a lot.

    ~Torey

    ReplyDelete