what's tomauro?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Oahu and a Final Farwell to Huntington

Thanks to my Dad, I was able to make a last minute trip to Waikiki for my friend Davin's 23rd birthday. It was a weekend of exploration, and marveling at the beautiful island. Then today I packed up my life once again and moved to San Diego to begin a new chapter of my life.
When you fly into Oahu the fluorescent blue and green from the ground projects into the airplanes window and onto your pearly whites. You cannot help but smile knowing that your landing in paradise. The airport even had an eerily calm atmosphere to it with "Mele Kalikimaka" on repeat, upon returning home this song seemed more annoying. We hiked to a wonderful waterfall (seen above) only I failed to wear the correct hiking shoes. Boots or even simple Converse were replaced with cheap flats that ripped halfway down the hike. Davin's sister (who is 4 months pregnant) was a good half mile ahead of me, as I limped covered in mud and rocks constantly piercing my feet trying not to slide to my death. Typical Kirstie. The rest of the weekend was spent soaking in the Hawaiian Coast, a wonderful dinner at the Shorebird which involved grilling our own food ocean side, and snorkeling the North Shore. From time to time I'd heard French being spoken as if a lingering force was reminding me Europe was never too far away. We also received the most amazing room for Davin's birthday night overlooking the coast and the mountains, our view looked right out of a Wyland painting. Here's a picture just because I don't think my mediocre writing skills paint this breathtaking portrait:


But overall the whole trip left me feeling so lucky. It was a reminder of how grateful I should be that I get to see these places and have such great company. It was a reminder that when I have 17 tables at once at work and spill a tray of seafood on ice down my blouse, I do it to have trips like this. Nothing is ever as bad as it really seems. And I tried to carry this attitude as I struggled to find an open seat flying home and as I slept in the San Francisco airport at 3am and as I drove down the California coast today. Only 27% of the American population have gone onto attaining a bachelor's degree (according to Wikipedia), and I am on track to becoming a part of that statistic.
I know it is not going to be easy and I've made alot of promises to myself, hoping that I can at least can go through with half. So as I open my this new chapter of my life, as I look out the coast of Cardiff to the setting sun, watching the same sunset I'd marveled at in Europe and on the coast of Honolulu I feel grateful and loved and positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment