what's tomauro?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Monday, October 18, 2010

50 Miles Makes All the Difference

Well I've been in the San Diego area for approximately two months now, one month in my on campus apartment at UCSD. I've been trying to put myself out there and develop more motivational habits. There is one thing I can say about attending a university and  it might be a cliche but it is what you make it.

To some people this might just be school; a place where they go a couple times a week to attend class and then leave but to others it is their lives. These are the people who work on campus, belongs to clubs and organiztions, who see UCSD as an experience. There is no shortage of things to do here. So far I have joined the Guardian publication and an intermural dodgeball team with my roommates.
My apartment is made up 8 very different girls, including myself, from a Austrian who loves cooking to an Asian hair sylist who likes to break dance. It's been fun getting to know people again, but nerve wracking at the same time. I consider myself somewhat of an old soul (in some aspects!), but I know what I like and what I don't. I have delt with drama and caddyness and to be honest have no more patience for it. I'm proud to say that this exists very little in our apartment. But I still don't feel like I haven't found the right group of people who fit my interests yet. I know it'll come in time.
There are two questions I get most when talking to people back home: How is school? and do I like it?
School is going well so far. From talking to others with my major I have heard negative things about the Communications department, but I'm trying to hold out so I can form my own verdict. I'm scared to turn in my first paper and take my first midterm, because I feel grading will be alot harder. I am a very determined person when it comes to academics, even though I may be a procrastinator so failure is a nightmere to me.
I like San Diego, but haven't really gotten a chance to experience the city due to a lack of funding. This is due to my unemployment. I have had three job inerviews and filled out various applications, all to no avail. After having a steady job for four years, I feel like a bum sitting around my apartment. Although I have been trying to work out more and do other activities which don't require money (not really much).  Ideally I would love to acquire an internship, something to do with writing and/or marketing but the majority of these positions are unpaid. Which really frustrates me! I mean not every student is funded by their parents, so that leaves no option for those of us who have to work for monetary returns, not academic credit or worse a pat on the back and a line added to our resumes. Ok just had to let out that little rant.
But I need a little kick in the but to get more determined job/ study wise. I'll try to keep everyone updated often. Here are some pictures so far from San Diego:

And I'm back to doing songs again here's Dr. Dog "The Old Days":

No comments:

Post a Comment