what's tomauro?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

the Vulgarity that is Vegas

Elvis' lyrics took literal context as my soul was definitley charred to a crip this weekend. I traveled to the birthplace of Fear and Loathing to reconcile with my roommates whom I lived with in Spain.
 If this trip was going to be anything like our nights in Europe, it would be similar to a stiff cocktail hard to swallow but leaving you with a warm fuzzy feeling. Although this post's purpose is not to share my debauchry with you, but instead reflect on Sin City. I don't know if it's me but besides feeling dirty when I drive off the strip I always reanalyze my life on the 4 hour drive home. I guess a weekend full of binge drinking and no sleep has that kind of effect on you.

My friends also addressed a need for change upon leaving the city Monday afternoon. This is not because we didn't have a great time (I sure did) but instead realizing that in constant partying there comes this post period need to justify one's success. As if to say "Yeah, I was an idiot last night but I have a career to come home to." I also wonder when I would shed the skin of my partying phase, I mean it has toned down alot but I still have this need to go out at least once a week.When I worked two jobs I always justified myself going out because I had worked so hard. It was almost as though my overworked ethic pushed me into a bar.

Why do we feel the need to provide reason in our drunken pursuits? Is it possible as a young 20 year old to balance booze and books? I mean I think I have done a pretty good job at it, but I always could have studied more. What are the discourses that are asscioated with a nerd or a party animal?: well one knows how to have fun while the other is on the path to success? Just a thought.

1 comment:

  1. I feel ya, I think most of life is trying to find a balance body mind and spirit. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete