what's tomauro?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Friday, March 4, 2011

One Year

Today has been a weird day. I've been trying to convince myself not to be depressed about the lingering anniversary of departing for Spain exactly a year ago. 
Then I had to go to a French immersion school to research a thesis for my bilingual studies class. While I sat in a classroom of bilingual 6 year olds, I couldn't help but flashback to being completely surrounded by different languages and this made me think about the window of cultures. 
I discussed with Principal Thierry the concept that speaking another language is not only a line on a resume, or an ability, but it is a window into another way of seeing the world. He told me the story of this 4 year old Sebastian who is currently in Paris showing his two non French speaking parents around the city.
Before I left for Europe I honestly thought of foreigners as kind of annoying people who do not know how to tip, but now they fascinate me. I have been opened up into this window of culture. For some reason their culture now fascinates me more than my own. 
I have come to the conclusion that I want to dedicate my life to studying other cultures, this was secured recently by adding an International Studies minor to my degree. Not too sure how I can develop this passion into a form of income, but I'll do my best to make it happen. I've been having visions of being an English teacher abroad. I observed a French teacher, Ellie,  today and saw myself in her shoes.  
These assessments would have never existed if I wouldn't have boarded that flight a year ago. I only hope that everyone gets the chance to view different cultures, and lifestyles. It not only makes you understand ethnicity more but also acquire a more in depth knowledge about yourself. 

Dan Auerbach:


1 comment:

  1. Very exciting development in your educational path, Kirst!! I'm sure you'll find a way to make your degree work for you. And, of course, I'd love to visit you if you took a job teaching in another country. :)

    ReplyDelete