what's tomauro?
“What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.”

Saturday, August 25, 2012

A Wandering Seoul

I've taken two weeks to collect my thoughts before I write on here. The truth is moving to a new city is such an exciting yet jolting experience, especially when you're moving to the other side of the world.

I arrived in Seoul two weeks ago at 5am, groggy from the sleep medicine I had taken to induce me into a short coma ( I don't do well sleeping on airplanes). When I walked out of the arrival gate, a sign bore my name "Kirsten." I got into the cab with my driver with minimal exchange except his protruding smile. He looks at me as I glanced out the window looking at the Korean countryside. I couldn't help but smile as I looked out over the luscious countryside, scattered with indecisive signs.

Korean culture is different...so different and there is often no explanations for some of the norms here except for the fact that they are just a different breed. I've learned some customs quickly: take off your shoes when you enter the home, give people money with both hands, don't put your purse on the ground and so on. On a positive note the personality of this country is so amazing.

For example last night, my coworkers and I went to decorated cupcakes at a bakery. They give you frosting, sprinkles, fruit etc. and let you become the master. After that we went to Hongdae park, it was here that there were several different bands playing: a screaming punk band, next to it some rap. There were people with headphones on with balloons on top, bobbing around and all seemed to be in synch. We soon discovered this was what was called a silent disco, where you listen to the DJ set through synchronized headphones. Once again "only in Korea" would this be found.

So far I have had nothing but fun discovering what this new part of the world has to offer. Tomorrow for the first time I will be on the other side of the classroom and that will definitely be interesting. Later on this week Raye, one of my best friends from home, and Lee, my favorite traveling buddy, will be coming to join me. There will also be some girls leaving to go back home.

From what I have seen so far this experience is very surreal, people come and go all the time, dipping out of this fantasy as quick as they came. I hope to enjoy it, try everything at least once and leave wiser than when I started. Heres to Korea!

















2 comments:

  1. Love reading about your experiences and seeing your pics here and on IG! Good luck tomorrow! I know you'll do great. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I love this! Also, it sincerely expresses your emotions and confirms your'e really enjoying Korea so far. That makes me happy....keep up with the blog-K? Also, saw where the weather is going to get pretty bad. Stay safe and warm, like you are in my heart...
    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete